Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tricky, Tricky Mommy


Recently I helped out at fundraiser for Abby's school and had the ultimate luck of scoring a couple boxes of Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. After we'd packed up all the bought cookie doughs and we're about to head home, the lead gal stood up and shouted to all of us volunteers "HEY, ANYONE WANT A COUPLE BOXES OF COOKIE DOUGH?" All of our heads whipped around and our bodies lunged forward toward her like a group of hungry wolves. Remember, by this time it's nearly eight o'clock at night, most of us haven't had dinner and for the past hour and a half we were frantically packing boxes of Monster cookies, M&M cookies, Mint Choc Chip cookies, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies, Oatmeal Raisin cookies....*drool* Then she added "THEY'RE SUGAR FREE!" and every single sweaty body screeched to a halt, arms flopping to their sides and noses turning up in disgust. Every single one but mine. From back of the pack I'm like "sure, I'll take 'em if you're giving them away." They all swung around to look at me like I was crazy, even the lead gal. But 1) my mom taught me that just b/c something is free doesn't mean it isn't good anymore and 2) I have kids who like cookies and sugar free cookies is even better.

I take my booty home that night and we throw a few of these nuggets in the oven. Then we wait for what we're sure is going to be a disappointment. I mean, come on, how good can a sugar free chocolate chip morsel taste? Isn't that an oxymoron? To the complete shock of our finicky tastebuds, they weren't half bad at all and the kids thought they were getting the real deal. So we got to give them a treat that was guilt free AND sugar-buzz free. Win-win for us all.

I'm thinking I see sugar-free candy and cookies popping into our cabinets asap. They won't know the difference, right? What's a little aspartame compared to taking out the refined sugars and sugar crashes. Don't get me wrong here...we're not going sugar-free {yet} but I think a little mommy trickery in the sweets department could be a good thing in this house.

Incidentally, here is a recipe for a healthier cookie. It looks yummy and I have put it in my recipe box to try. We're gonna use craisins instead of dates though.

Cheers to a healthier year!

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Just beware of the sugar-free chocolate! Anything with Sorbitol as the sugar substitute will cure constipation in a hurry. And if you aren't constipated when you eat it - well, don't stray to far from home for a few hours. :)

But if you need any sugar-free baking tips, call me. I've had a few years of practice.

Anonymous said...

We tried the "healthy cookie" last week and it was eh, just okay. 2 out of the five kids that were here at the time LIKED them, and the mommies liked them. The rest of kids turned their noses up after one bite.

I'd give 'em a 3 out of 5 stars. The batter was easy to whip up, but not easy to spoon onto the cookie sheet. The fruit was too heavy and kept falling out of the teaspoonful of dough when I'd move it from the spoon to the pan. But the cookies themselves were yummy IF you like bananas b/c that was the major flavor. I'd eat 'em again, but only if someone else made 'em.

Christy