Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Extra, Extra ... Read All About It!

In the excitement of removing the bottle from his life and possibly potty training soon, I picked up a few pairs of Lightening McQueen Underoos for Zach. I also bought a big bag of Smarties as bait (er, I mean rewards.) We told him that he got half a roll for trying and a whole roll for actually going. Last night he tried to go but nothing happened. This morning he woke up mad b/c the diaper we put on was ''broken", which just means the tab came loose. So right there in the bed I pulled the diaper off and excitedly told him that today we'd have to wear big boy undies and try the potty. He objected at first..."No Mommy, I don't like underwear. No underwear!" I didn't detour. We went straight downstairs, first tried the underwear then relented and warned him not to pee on my floor. He could smell the bait (uh, reward I mean) and asked for some candy. I told him only if he really tried to go. Bless his heart! He spent the next five or so minutes trying to convince himself as he stood against the potty that it was coming. "Here it comes! Do you hear it!? Isss com-ming!" He gave up and so I gave him the half roll leftover from last night and he toddled off to watch cartoons. Next thing I know he's in the bathroom trying again...candy ran out. So I begin making my pot of coffee - ignoring him so he can do his thang. I remembered his sippee cup sitting there, handed it to him saying that sometimes drinking can make you pee-pee. He took it and I walked away. Then I hear water trickling, which I can only assume from history that he's pouring his cup of water into the toilet. "NO, NO ZACHARY! Don't pour the water in the potty!" I said as I ran to the bathroom. Lo and behold, as I turned the corner, HE'S GOING PEE IN THE POTTY!!!!!!!! "Look Mommy! I go pee in da potty!" he exclaimed. I did the full pee pee dance in the kitchen (don't ask - it looks totally stupid but the kids think it's funny), slapped him high five, handed him TWO Smarties (I got so excited) and convinced him to wear the underwear. We then called Daddy and Gramma to tell them all about it. :) I'm so happy for him. He finally saw and felt what it actually is to go in the potty and hopefully this is the beginning of the end of diapers for him. I know from experience that there will be accidents and plenty of night time diapers/pull ups, so I know it's a way off still that we're totally done. BUT I'm still very excited to be in the process.


Also, as a side note. I have to take this moment and acknowledge that my husband may have been right. Okay, okay... I was wrong. Dang it! Ever since the weather broke I've been pining to have the canvas put up on the gazebo so that we could go sit out there and enjoy the weather. In my defense, it WAS 80 degrees the other day! So anyway, Scott hasn't wanted to put it up b/c this particular gazebo is no longer in production and so we cannot buy a replacement canvas should this was get torn or ruined somehow. So he wanted to not put it up until we were sure that the last frost came and went, so as to save any undue stress on the canvas. Oh - pish posh - I kept saying! Don't be a wuss - I kept saying. It's not going to frost again - the weatherman said so. It's been raining for two days here in Ohio and what do I wake up to this morning? Scott standing at the head of the bed saying "it snowed." DOH! Like a true "bigger person" he didn't say a word about the gazebo canvas although he must have been thinking it.

So... "Sorry Honey - you were right." *putting paper bag over my head*

Hopefully it won't bother the material much at all. I'm off to check the weather, although my faith in the weather man is seriously lacking. Hoping for a warm up today or tomorrow!


Good Morning, Father!
Thank you for the submissive heart you have created in me and that I can readily admit when I am wrong. You know that I don't take criticism well at all, but once I get over myself I can easily see that I was wrong. Thank you for the lesson of humility and my hope is that when I do feel humbled, I can the next time remember that I don't need to run my mouth and CAN save myself the humiliation by just being quiet. Even if the other person is completely wrong I can better serve my friend, myself and you by being quiet and letting the lesson come on it's own.

Today I ask for my daily ration of blessings from you. I know they are there, ready to be given and I ask and accept them. I pray that my patience will be long with my children and that today I will take the time to just sit/play with them, instead of worrying over what is to be done. I pray for all of my mother friends out there that need more of You today to deal with their situations. I ask that you meet them right where they are, give them clarity of mind to deal objectively with the demands of them. Please let them feel the Holy Spirit around them, encouraging them, praying for them. Draw them near to you with reminders of reading your Word, which is where we get to know exactly who you are. I ask that for myself too. I miss You. Make me the mother, wife, daughter and friend that YOU want me to be. I submit to You and I trust You. Be with my husband today as he goes about his day. Bring him honor in the workplace and let his work be fulfilling to his heart. Teach him gently about slowing down and making time for You as well. Woo his heart so that he also craves You. Please allow all of this study material to sink into his brain, that he would truly understand the concepts and pass this last exam. I thank you for him, Lord! Amen.


Off to get the girls up and begin the day! Hope you all are well and blessed today!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Zachary! Two kids down - only one to go!

And I can't believe it snowed there. It was chilly here, but definitely no snow or frost.