Sunday, October 5, 2008

What's Going On

Okay, this is the hardest $40 I've ever had to spend! My Dad and Nita bought me a gift certificate to Amazon.com for my birthday and you'd think "geesh, the world's your oyster, Christy!" Oh ho ho, not really, my friends!

I've been through EVERY handbag designer and nearly all the flats or pump shoes (er, I'm not at liberty to wear heels nor is it practical with my lifestyle right now) and come up empty handed. I know I'm not that hard to please. I could walk in almost any store and find something for less money that I'm in love with, but give me a whole website full of everything and I'm stumped! I'm shocked. So...I guess I'll just hold onto the certificate and when something comes up and I think "shoot, I wish I could just go buy that $40 item" then I can look it up on Amazon and Happy Birthday to Me.

This weekend Abby and I took the "no cussing oath" and became members of the "No Cussing Club." I was convicted on two accounts. One, my dear husband pointed out to me that in my all sincere post about how I had a great time with the Lord on my way to Lake Erie, I also slammed down like three curse words in the process. And two, I was reading a post on Dooce's website where she laid down out an anecdote about how her daughter screamed out some profanities in the mall during a hissy fit and she told her daughter she "knew she wasn't allowed to use those words outside of the house." It took me by surprise that that was her condition and thought to myself that it was definitely outside of what I want to be as a parent. Plus, as I was manhandling my bicycle down from the ceiling of the garage, I slipped with the bike and yelled "H*ly Sh**!" and not just a few minutes later Miss Abby dropped her bike and out came the same words. Sooooo...she and I took the following oath:

I won't cuss, swear, use bad language, or tell dirty jokes. Clean language is the sign of intelligence and always demands respect. I will use my language to uplift, encourage and motivate. I will Leave People Better Than I Found Them!

And now we're part of the cool no cussing group. I want to take this seriously and it's definitely hard to change a baaad habit, so I've had a few slips today. Abby's quick to correct me, but to her my bad word slip ups are "crap" and "frick" so at least I'm doing better today in not slipping up the big ones around her. Gotta be that good role model now that I'm all grown up and stuff. Here's to a curse word free week!

Oh, and here's something to make your butt (not a curse word, right??) pucker. Take a look at this poor dude and be SO glad we live in the US where medical care is available to everyone. *shiver* You can Google "Tree Man" and there is quite a bit of footage and pics about him. It's absolutely amazing that he lived with his hands, feet and face like they were, but also that he's getting the care he needs and getting better. Wow.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am usually great bout this but lately I have fallen off the wagon totally with my mouth and I don't know where that came from! Frustration I suppose! But I think we might join the club with you! I will make the same pact with my kids too and we will work on each other-- so even our kids can hold us accountable for those sorts of sins as the Bible says! --- IrishMama