Monday, October 6, 2008

Letter to my Doctor

Well gang, you know me, I'm not too great at hiding my feelings. You can usually tell exactly how I'm feeling at any given time by looking at me or simply asking me. SO I had to go in for my semi-annual thyroid bloodwork with my doctor who I've never really "liked" but tolerate b/c I don't ask much of her or see her much at all. I figure I can handle most anything in short doses, but today she sealed the coffin on our relationship. Here is the letter I've sent to her, letting her know that she's been pink slipped. You'll note: no cuss words. :)

Dear Dr. Suess (changed for privacy reasons),

I have been your patient for three years now after coming to you in 2005 for my thyroid condition. I had an idea from the very first visit that your bedside manner was not going to mesh with what I expected from my own doctor/patient relationship, but I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt and a solid chance. However, in every single visit that I have had, you have barely answered my questions and continually left the room abruptly without letting me know that you were finished with the exam or asking if I had any other questions or concerns. Every time we've met I have had to ask the nurses if you were coming back and the questions that lingered, only to be told "I don't know." And even once, I had to have the nurse go after you into the next patient's room to ask my question for me. She told me then that I was not the only one to have complained about this behavior. In my opinion, it is rude and not acceptable.

In fact, today's visit was the proverbial straw for me. I asked you to examine my ears explaining to you that they have been severely itchy for months on end. You took a look in my ear and noted out loud "yea, you've been scratching a lot!" I went on explaining that yes, they itch something awful and the sensation comes and goes, but now the one ear is painful. Then you turned without a word, left the room and never came back. I assumed that you might be going to get something, but when you didn't return and the lab tech came in to take my blood I had to ask her and the nurse if you were coming back. You had already moved on to the next patient. You did not explain what you saw in my ears, you didn't even give me any idea of what you thought the problem might be, nor did you give me an opportunity to discuss anything else that was on my mind. You just walked out and never said "good-bye" or "thanks for coming in" or "good luck". Nothing. Instead you went to another patient's room and began their exam! Can you imagine how that makes a patient feel? I'll tell you, Dr. Suess, it makes me feel as if I am not worth your time. It also makes me wonder if you are overbooked and feel the need to rush off to the next patient even though I have never spent more than ten minutes with you during any given visit that I have had.

Unfortunately, your rude manner is not the only item I've overlooked in the past years. Your office is seriously shabby and in need of repairs/updates. Every time I come to the office I have to have a mental conversation with myself about overlooking the cosmetics and focus on the care I'm receiving. However, I feel it needs to be said. The outside of your building looks more like an unkempt house than a medical office building. I think at the very least you could have someone sweep the spider webs from around the door regularly, clean up the landscaping and put in a proper walkway. I assume you have a handicap accessible door, but your front entrance where the handicap parking space is located certainly is not. The waiting room, despite your construction efforts, is freezing in temperature, in need of cleaning, organizing and is completely uninviting. Honestly, the waiting room is the patient's first view of what kind of care to expect and is your opportunity to make us feel welcome and safe, possibly less anxious. The tired chairs, stacks and stacks of old magazines, the dirty area rug, lack of color and warmth does exactly the opposite. Also, your bathroom floor tiles are clearly dirty in the corners and in need of repair.

Dr. Suess, it really bothers me to have to send this letter to you, being so direct about my observations now, but you've not given me the full respect I deserve as a patient. I often leave your office wondering why I pay to be treated like I'm nobody. And while I think it is entirely possible that you either have no idea that you are doing what you do or that you feel it is the best way to deal with patients, I feel obligated to tell you that you are lacking in the relational part of your job and that since I have the choice to go elsewhere, I will.


Respectfully,
Christina Baker

No comments: