Sunday, June 29, 2008

Eternal Rewards

Last evening my first baby girl made a public profession of her faith in Jesus Christ. She was baptized by immersion just like her own savior was sooooo many moons ago. She was so excited and nervous that she was literally shaking as we stood waiting at the edge of the baptismal. My own nerves mixed with hers in the air and it was palpable. I stood there knowing fully the magnitude of what she was doing and was both proud and completely scared for her. She has no idea of the real dangers that lie out there, the very real enemy who was aware of her and her decision to follow his maker. I had the chance to sit down on the edge of the tub and pray with her. Whispering my wishes to the Lord, I asked that He would indwell her and speak to her spirit from this day on. Then she took her own steps down into the baptismal tub, without me. I felt...like it was yet another step toward letting her go, letting her become who she will be. I'm suddenly realizing that these children I've been entrusted are not going to be like me at all. They won't be mini-Christy's no matter how hard I try. They will have their own ideas of what the world is and looks like, their own ways of expressing themselves. My job is to nurture them individually and allow them the safe space to drive down the roads of life...all the while maintaining the guard rails that will keep them from driving off course. Out there somewhere...just a few years down the road actually, I'll have to let the guard rails down and pray that what we've taught them and their faith will be sufficient. I know that Abby is going to have to endure hardships in her life in order to grow her in strength, faith and endurance, but it makes my Mommy Heart ache like no other. I thought of all this last night as I watched her take her own steps of faith and obedience.

Lord, grow me as a Christian woman. Refine me and show me who You want me to be. I want to be a solid example for my husband and children. Thank you for speaking through me to our Abby. Use me to help her grow in her own spiritual walk, and use us both to speak to the smaller children. Lord, till the soil of her heart...shape her into a loving, kind-hearted girl. Guard her and put a hedge of protection around her. I love you and look forward with anticipation to the day when you call us Home, the day or night when those trumpets sound and we meet you face to face. I'm overjoyed that Abby's name is written in the Lamb's Book of life and she knows you. In Jesus' name - Amen!




No comments: