Monday, June 30, 2008

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead

*yawn*

These kids, I tell ya. They are awfully darned lucky that God gave them a mother whose patience runs deep. In the daylight hours I can easily say that nighttime parenting is just as important as the daytime parenting. But after three solid hours of eye-cracking, head-banging, toe curling baby and toddler crying...my patience is nothing more than a tattered, threadbare white flag of submission and the witchy, warty Mommy comes out. "Please God - WHY WON'T THEY JUST SLEEP!" I cry out at 4:25am as I shuffle to soothe one or the other. "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!" I grumble as I throw the comforter back and slam it to the mattress, partly in complete anger at the situation and partly as payment to Scott who gets to roll over and fall back asleep three seconds after I get up. Every once in awhile, when he's not crunched to get up at 5am, he'll offer to get up with the baby (and usually he will get up with Zach) but I rarely let him. In my mind it's easier to just clenched my teeth and get through the next 15 minutes with our regular routine than to let him get up and hear Lilly wail harder b/c her savior of a Mommy didn't appear at her cribside. She really has a problem. I'll probably have to peeeeel her off of my leg when it comes time to take her to school. I guess that's better than having to peel her off my boob though, eh? Anyway...I'm rambling b/c I've had three hours of sleep, maybe four if you add up all the minutes I had in between Lilly and Zach's marathon of crying.

I tried to go to sleep at 11pm, but Lilly began her two hour sprint of sleep for 20 minutes, cry for ten. Then at 1am I fell asleep for three glorious hours. After which Zach woke up hollering "No Daddy! My trucks!" And so began his hour sprint of sleep ten minutes, wake up and cry, sleep ten minutes and so on. Then, not to be outdone, Lilly woke up at 5:30ish apparently for the day. *sigh* So while I still think nighttime parenting is just as important as daytime parenting...I'm here to say it sucks more.

Folgers, take me away!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know there's a country song out right now called, "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead"? Different reason for not sleeping right now - but same idea!

Magpie said...

LOL - NO, but that'd be a fitting theme song for my day today. :)

Anonymous said...

Like I said - TOTALLY different reason for not sleeping - but a really really fast paced catchy stick-in-your-head tune. It just might be what you need to keep you moving during the day after such a sleepless night!

Anonymous said...

There's also an old BonJovi song called "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead." I used to listen to that one in high school when I was out late with friends and then got up for 5am swim practice. :)

And hey - at least Zachary wasn't having his nightmare about you last night! LOL! Poor thing - dreaming about his toys being taken away. :(

-Alicia