Monday, June 16, 2008

The Quietest Part of My Day

Ahhhhh...the swirl of the dryer, Kate Gosselin's voice soothing my mother nerves, counters are wiped down, toys are put away and I'm almost ready for tomorrow. All three kids are in bed (thanks, Daddy!) and I can finally clean up the house and know it'll stay that way for more than twenty minutes. Of course we're all sleeping and within ten minutes of us being up again it'll be torn up, but for now I can lay my head on the pillow and know I've successfully mothered all three children (how dare that school close it's doors for three whole months!!) to the best of my abilities and left the house in good honorable condition. I actually felt glee while wiping down the toilet this evening b/c I didn't have a baby crawling at mach speed toward the door or one of the older ones trying to dig in the cabinets behind me.

Actually...as I stand here posting this...I find it completely ironic that I even watch Jon and Kate Plus Eight at all. Don't I get enough whining, crying and talk about baby/kid crap in a fourteen hour period!? And yet I sit and watch this family of ten with admiration and hope, thinking "if she can find humor and happiness in the life she's living, I most certainly can do it myself with half the people!"

Speaking of humor...one of the best things about having children is that they are a captive audience. Abby was asking for a late snack (she said "surprise me with what you make!") and we kinda forgot about it. Then we remembered and joked about what we might bring her. Scott's idea was hilarious. He grabbed a Milkbone that the dogs had been batting around the house for a few days (would you believe the pizza man actually brought it with our pizza!?), put it on a plate and covered it with a saucepan lid. We sneaked downstairs and he says "Abby, I thought long and hard about what to make you, spent a long time preparing this and voila!" as he lifted the lid to reveal the bone. *laughing* Her face was priceless. It went from eagerness to questioning what the heck it was and then realization that it was a dog bone and she'd been the butt of a joke. She has a great sense of humor and laughed right along with our retardedness. I love that kid. WE love that kid...she's great.

Alright - that was a lame story. Sorry...I'm sleepy. G'night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree - Kate Gosslin's voice is pretty soothing. That's becoming one of my guilty pleasure shows. Thank goodness for Tivo or I would never get to see it. :)

-Alicia