Thursday, June 12, 2008

Our 9-1-1 Experience

Yesterday was SUCH a good day and then wouldn't you know it...it just HAS to get all rowdy at the end. Right!? Couldn't be anything else around here, for Pete's sake.

Scott had a late meeting, so I did everything in my power to wear the kids out (two hours at the pool, a late night walk/scooter.) We actually got home the same time he did - it was around 9:20-9:30. We go inside and settle the kids in the living room. Scott and I are in the kitchen talking and then Lilly started crying the "hurt cry." We run over and ask Zach what happened. First mistake - leaving him alone with her. Second mistake - expecting a real story of what actually happened in the previous twenty seconds. I scooped Lilly up and cuddled her while Scott shined the light in Zach's eyes. All we could get was that he pushed her and it's only funny b/c when we asked him in our serious parent voice he said he did so in half an "I think I did something right" voice and half in an "I might be in trouble voice." We didn't yell or spank him, just told him that was a big no-no.

Suddenly I noticed that Lilly's eyeball was bleeding!!! Not a lot, just a spot, but of course I couldn't get her to open her eye or even pry it open. Bless her heart! I sat her upright and her eyes started rolling back in her head and she wouldn't keep her eyes open. Scott and I looked at each other with this wild, panicked look and I know we were both scared but not sure what to do or what was wrong. I kept saying "SOMETHING'S WRONG! So we scattered to get our shoes on and go to the ER, but I figured calling 9-1-1 would be quicker. So I did. And here is how the conversation went:

911 Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What is your emergency?
Me (in a panic): I think I have a problem. I have a nine month old baby here and she looks to have fallen on a coffee table, but I didn't see it happen. Her eyeball is bleeding and her eyes were rolling back in her head and she wanted to go to sleep, I think. But she seems to be okay now. I'm not sure what we should do!
911 Dispatcher: Okay, please hold while I transfer you.
Me (confused): What!? Okay.
Sherrif's Office Lady: Sherrif's office. How can I help you?
Me (getting ticked off): I have a nine month old baby who seems to have fallen and her eyeball is bleeding. I didn't see it happen and she seems to be okay for now, but I don't know what I should do.
Sherrif's Lady (in a snarky, loud voice): Ma'am - where ARE you!?
Me: I'm at home, in my kitchen!
Snarky Sherrif Lady: OKaaaaay. Where is THAT? What is your address!?
Me (seriously pissed off now): Are you kidding me!? It's (address) off of (such and such Road)!!!! *throwing my hands in the air*
Snarky, Nasty Sherrif Lady: Are you in Reynoldsburg!?
Me (completely ready to hang up) YES!!!!!!!!!!
Snarky, Nasty Sherrif Lady: Well, that's the problem. I'm in another city. Do you need a medic? You need to call 9-1-1.

Uh - really!? I cannot believe at this point that this is happening. What if I had a super bad emergency? I'm still in shock really.

So she transfer me to some guy. I really have no clue who he was or if he was with 9-1-1 Emergency or not. I explained my situation A-GAIN and said "at this point I'm not sure if I need to go to the ER or have an ambulance come." He said he could dispatch a medic and it was our call, so we said "go ahead with the medic then." He said some inaudible things and then I thought he said to hold please, so I did. A few minutes later I realized that no one was on the line or coming to the line so I hung up. We waited for at least thirty minutes after that but no medic came.

I put Lilly to sleep and she seemed fine, except for the blood on her eye, which I know can be unsightly but is not usually too painful. Our intuitive diagnosis is that Zachary most likely scratched her as he pushed her down and her eye really stung, which caused her to roll her eyes around and water. She kept rubbing them too so that probably made her feel really sleepy. I'll keep a close watch on her and call the pediatrician this morning.

I guess the lesson learned is if you're in real danger here in my town - don't call 9-1-1 unless you're up for a multi-person conversation and expect no result.

No comments: