Friday, June 6, 2008

Where's My Talent?

Seriously - what IS my talent? I'm watching So You Think You Can Dance? and I'm in awe of these people's abilities. They have this awesome talent and way of expressing themselves...and I have to ask...What is my talent? Oh sure - I'm a good mom and friend and wife, and I can whip up a dinner (definitely NOT my strong point *wink*) - and I'm not fishing for compliments by any means (feel free to leave one). But really...Scott's a talented Architect, Tennis God, he has HUGE...green thumb *tongue in cheek* and can swoon a plant back to life with the flick of the watering can. It just makes me sit back and wonder...am I talentless or am I just a Jill of All Trades, Master of None? I can do a good many things well enough...ride a bike, make a person laugh, scrub a toilet, scrapbook, write a blog, wrangle a wiggly baby with poop creeping up her back, but I am not excelled or trained or great at any one thing. Does that mean I lack passion? I've never had that "sprint to the finish line and win" feeling. Never received a first place medal. Never won a contest. And for the most part, friends, I'm okay with that. Except when I see that flame of passion burning inside of someone else...or see them succeed to a finishing spot, like my husband. Bless his soul...he wins so often at tennis, that I just expect it out of him. But every match in his eyes is played to be won and when it's not won, he really feels it. I don't know what that feels like and it makes me wonder.

I know that God gives us all unique qualities and special Spiritual gifts when we become followers of Christ, so I know I have those things. I just wonder if I have ONE really cool talent that will drive me someday or if I am just meant to be kinda good at a few things and live contentedly with that. *shrugging my shoulders* It's hard to say I suppose - especially at this stage when my WHOLE life revolves around three little people who need me to be their everything and encourage them to find their talents. Hmmm...maybe being a well-rounded, healthy Mom is the best talent I can have right now? Would I be okay with that? Yes, most likely. Something tells me though that I really do have something bigger - I just need to locate it.

Whatever your talent is - be it that you are a great encourager, a fantastic artist, a person who loves to help others, a dancer, a runner, a cook, etc...use it. Use your talent to bring glory to the One who gave it to you.

No comments: