Sunday, May 4, 2008

What a nice day!

Today we went to Scott's Aunt and Uncle's place to have a family gathering. His other Uncle and Aunt flew in from Florida (and boy are their arms tired! *ba-dum-bum* Sorry, couldn't help myself!) to visit with the family. It's always SO nice to see everyone. It was also nice to be outside again, smell a fire burning and I got to go out through the aunt/uncles woods on their four wheeler. Then a few of us got out and walked through the woods where the trailer couldn't get to, and it was heavenly. Honestly, I felt so at peace out there I just wanted to stop and sit. I noticed how quiet it was, all the saplings popping up through the dead leaves, the green shoots of new grass bursting forth. You notice these things when you don't have three children clamoring all over you. I actually felt a tear or two well up as I was walking b/c I just realized how quiet it was. It's something I'm really missing in my life...quiet. I think it's a necessary thing to have. How can anyone really get a hold of a thought without there being some quiet? It seems like when I'm home or with my kids, I'm constantly going, constantly thinking of what the next step is, the next ten things that need done in the few hours ahead. The noise is always going, even when the children are asleep it's the T.V. or the washer/dryer. It's so rare in my life now to have peace and quiet... and just for that fleeting moment today as I walked among the trees...my body remembered how it NEEDS some more of that on a regular basis. I told myself as I drove away from there that I would do more to get away, to walk in the woods near my house, to get away from the noise of the children and the daily grind...and just enjoy the beauty of being quiet and in the presence of God.

What a treat today! What a true blessing, a kiss from God.

No comments: