Thursday, May 1, 2008

Still Reeling From Last Night

It was a ROUGH night in the Baker house. I think we received our confirmation that Zachary definitely still needs a nap, even if it causes him to stay up later. He ran ALL DAY yesterday. We had the neighbor boys in and out throughout the day, and then went to the Y in the evening. I think between taking the bottle away, starting to potty train and not taking a nap - all this at once - he's on information/emotional overload.

He went to bed about 8:30 last night and then proceeded to cry in his sleep for the rest of the night. Lilly didn't go to sleep until about 9:30 and by then I was numb. You probably saw the previous post. I was just exhausted from it all and then looking around at the house was seriously bringing me down. It's NO wonder why women are frazzled and dealing with depression. It's like fighting the same uphill battle every single day. So anyway, both kids were down for maybe half an hour and Zach started crying. He was just crying in his sleep, so we left him alone. But then Lilly woke up. I tried to let her cry a little, so I could enjoy my cookies and beer in peace (no, they don't compliment each other. They did both taste good though.) I finally went up to get her, completely frustrated, fed her again and sent her back to sleepy land. Scott and I gave up for the day at about 11pm.

12:40 came. Just long enough to be in a deep sleep and interuption felt like someone dumped a pile of rocks onto our heads. I couldn't even tell you who got up first, but I can tell you it took a good half an hour of talking to a half-asleep boy who refused to stop screaming. I think he was having a night terror b/c he just sat there, eyes half open screaming. He could respond to us, but wouldn't stop crying. We tried patting his back/toosh, giving him some water, rocking him, talking sweetly, talking sternly, threatening...nothing worked. I finally got fed up with him screaming and possibly waking up Lilly that I scooped him out of bed and flew him downstairs to sit on the couch. Scott and I sat there FUMING MAD not knowing WHAT to do. We were so exhausted, Scott's head and eyes ached, I was over the top tired and neither of us had a clue of what to do. We all just ended up laying down on the couches/floor. Although, not before I had a few choice words to fling around the kitchen and the thoughts of grabbing my keys and driving far away screamed in my head! I eventually left the two of them to sleep downstairs and went back to bed. I figured I had to get up and deal with the kids all day today and I'd definitely paid my dues in sleepless nights. Well, Scott came back to bed after Zach fell off the couch and woke them both up. Thankfully he went into bed without too much of a fight. But then of course Lilly had to wake up. *deep sigh* *shuffling feet across the carpet* Seriously? So I went downstairs and nursed her back to sleep.

At this point it's about 3am. Back to sleep, hopefully for the rest of the morning. Nope!

5:20 - Zachary starts his loud crying again and this time he's talking out his dream. All I can make out is "No, Mommy. No." and he's rolling around in his bed. Greeeat - the nightmare is about me! I just stood there to make sure he wasn't going to get any worse and within minutes he was quiet again. *shuffling feet back to bed*

7:00 - It's Zach AGAIN. This time he's crying about the airplane flying over the house. Sometimes it sounds like they are going to land on the house, but no matter, the noise of them flying over (high or low) makes him nervous and he screams for one of us. Frick! So I just get him out of bed and downstairs so he doesn't wake anyone else up. Of course - Abby sleeps through it all! I think she's hit the teenage sleepiness early. It's like waking the dead getting her out of bed.

So - I'm still angry. Thankfully Scott came bouncing down the stairs all daisy fresh from his shower (though all puffy from allergies and sleeplessness), scooped Zachary up and said "you're lucky I love you" and kissed him all over. It helped to see his better attitude b/c I was standing in the kitchen like a miser, thinking about how the rest of the day I have to manage the kids on barely any sleep.


I know I can do this today. I will not hold it against my child that he had a night terror...he just has to have a nap in the day. He's only three years old, basically still a baby trying to be a big boy. God love him...he IS cute. He's sitting on the potty right now trying to go again. He did go pee a little and now he's trying to do the other one. *wink*

In other news: Scott's office is moving today. KDG bought a new office space and are actually moving closer to our house, which is cool. I'm excited for them. I loved the other office - it was more like a loft space, open to everyone, but not enough room for them. I'll take pictures of the new space when they get moved in and post them here. It's amazing how quickly they've grown.

I'd better get a move on. I think it's important for me to get the Y today and blow off some steam and Abby is not up yet. Gotta hurry!

No comments: