Monday, July 21, 2008

Can I Get An Amen!?

So this weekend I'm driving with Abby down Main Street, just toodling along after our "Girl Day" breakfast and trip to the specialty store for a new Webkin. I know! I said she was done getting Webkins, right? But I promised her a trip to the salon to get our nails painted for our "Girl Day" and after an expensive trip to Cincy, I figured a Lil' Kin would be much cheaper and offer more fun. Anyway, we were just driving along looking to go to a few yard sales and we start seeing those familiar posterboard signs "CAR WASH HERE" and I'm thinking Just keep driving and don't make eye contact. Then I am startled by the fact that the two or three young ladies (and I use that term loosely) were wearing nothing but dental floss and postage stamps. They are all standing out there in STRING BIKINIS on Main Street. Downtown. Asking for money for their donation car wash. In string bikinis. Downtown. On Main Street. At a cheap arse fast food restaurant. Of course Abby was like "Whoa Mom...look at them." I just said "that's completely inappropriate!" and it was. It is. I think it was for a sorority but I may be confused. No matter what age though...there is no reason for a young woman to be selling her body to get donations for a charity. I was embarrassed to drive by with my seven year old, enraged that this fast food place would let 90% naked girls stand outside of their establishment and appalled by how our society thinks this is acceptable.

Today I'm quite angry with myself for not stopping right then and there and telling those girls how inappropriate their "attire" was AND going into the restaurant to tell them what I thought. Do those girls realize how risky their behavior is? Let's just face it...men are dirty dogs as far as sexuality and women go...MOST MEN are. All young hormonal teenage boys too, for that matter! No doubt there were men who stopped to have their vehicles soaped and rubbed up by the scantily clad girls. I'm sure they got a good "look see" at the goodies of these young girls and only had to pay but a five or ten spot for the show.

I feel sorry for the girls who felt it was acceptable to parade around their bodies for a few bucks. I wish I could have called their parents and told them how their precious little baby girls were all oiled up, wearing practically nothing and proudly picketing for donations. I wish I could remember WHICH restaurant it was they were standing outside of so I could send a copy of this post and a few more choice words to them. But most of all I wish those girls would know how precious their bodies really are, how holy a place a woman's body is. I wish they would have had more respect for themselves than what they did.

And since I'm on the soapbox...while my church does NOT have girls in string bikinis in service. There are girls, and grown women I might add, who are dressed inappropriately for church service. Yesterday I saw a young girl in the hallway wearing skin-tight cut off shorts clear up to her "you know what", flip flops and a tight tee shirt. WHAT!? Where were her parents when they got in the car? Did they REALLY think that is appropriate clothing to go into the house of the Lord? Now look, I have no issue with wearing shorts or jeans or even tee shirts into church. I think you can worship and serve the Lord in most clothes. But come on! It's my opinion that you should 1) dress modestly (no cleavage, upper thigh, midriff, plunging backs, spaghetti/bra strap tops) and 2) dress as if you are going to be in there with Jesus. I'm not saying go get on your three peice suit and dress with with pearls, but you should be able to wear something as nice as you would to any other formal event. Plus, going back to the how men can be dirty thinkers thing...why cause these guys to have more/any dirty thoughts? Can't a guy go into the Lord's house and be safer than he would out on the street? Shouldn't the culture of the church look different than the culture on the outside? I remember once when we were sitting in the middle/back area and we could see a young girl several rows up that looked just like she had nothing on but a bra. All you could see were those skinny bra straps on her tank top and I (a woman) was like "what the heck is she wearing!?" I could easily picture her sitting there in her underwear. I blame the parents in many cases. These younguns are just following what the Pied Piper of American culture is telling them. Come on parents! Hike up your parenting underwear and send these kids back to their rooms to change, even if you're gonna be late because of the fight and time it takes. You HAVE to think about what you are sending your kids out in. Boys too!

This is call for more modesty! I think us "older" women are responsible for teaching and reprimanding our younger women as well. This is not the job of fathers, elders and pastors, although if the women won't speak up then the men should. We have to SHOW the younger girls that you can still be beautiful and feel great in your clothes without showing all the skin that the magazines, movies and commercials make you think you should. We also have to be bold and loving in telling our girls when they should be more respectful of themselves and others in how they dress AND carry themselves AND speak. Now if it's MY girls I'm just gonna be like "get your butt back upstairs and change right now b/c I'm not taking you anywhere dressed like that!" That's what my mom did and she also didn't buy the crap that I wanted at 14 years old.

So...that's just my two cents.

No comments: