Thursday, July 3, 2008

Veggie Thursday

Due to the holiday this weekend our veggies didn't make it to us on Tuesday, but rather came today. Yum!

We certainly shouldn't be low on Iron, that's for sure. Lots of greens!!! We've received a bag of snap peas (mmm...shelling and eating them raw as I type this. If you've not had them, go buy a pound and try them.), a bag of string beans, a whole white onion, a small bunch of green onions, a bag of lettuce, a head of cabbage (which I let Christina keep) and nine ears of corn.

Next Thursday begins Reynoldsburg's first annual Farmers Market and I have marked it on the calendar. There is just something about buying canned jams, homegrown veggies and fresh baked goodies out of the back of someone's van for less than grocery prices - makes it taste better. I'm not talking about the creepy van that sits behind the grocery store ready for a dumpster dive. Nope, the Grandma, Grandpa duo who have a little table set up at the end of the Ford pickup or minivan, who are really proud of what they've grown or baked. It makes me feel more connected to my community and less like a part of the cattle drive that occurs in the grocery store. You get to actually meet the person who grows/bakes your food and ask questions about their process instead of hoping the grocery market department heads are doing their jobs. It feels more responsible and more familial. It actually makes me wish for ten acres of solid gold soil where I could plant my own family garden. My six by four suburban raised bed garden just isn't cutting the mustard these past two years.

Edited to add:
I was just shucking the corn for tonight's dinner and found a squirmy freeloader. I can hear Bear Grylls now..."Ahh man...look at this guy here...he's loaded with protein and vit-ah-mins. *slurp* *gag*"











I assume this fatty was no extra charge for us. *shiver*

No comments: