Monday, July 14, 2008

What to do with Summer Squash

I had plans to cut up the yellow squash we got from the farmer and stick it in our pasta sauce, but just as I started to plop them in Scott looked at me and said "what the heck are those and are you putting them in OUR pasta sauce?" I spared him and the kids the nutrition and myself that offended feeling I get when they turn their noses up at healthy vegetables. I now know how my mom felt when I'd turn up my nose before even tasting the smallest bite of food. It seemed to enrage her and she'd say "You are NOT allowed to say it's gross unless you taste it!"

So today I surfed the trusted Allrecipes.com and found a schlew of recipes using Summer Squash, including this one I tried for lunch. Mmmmm...Yellow Squash, Green Zucchini, Orange Carrots, rice and butter! How can I go wrong!? It smells divine while cooking and I did hold out a little hope that the kids would at least try it, but all was dashed quickly when Abby left to eat lunch with Bailee at the pool and Zachary shook his head and devoured a PB&J instead.

Oh well - more for me!

It was delicious too. Give it a try if you get your hands on some squash and zucchini.

No comments: