Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Grandmas Have Come Through

Last night Abby was invited to spend the day and night with Gramma Baker, which is always fun for everyone involved. Abby gets one on one time with Gramma, Gramma gets a playmate and Mommy gets to have two kids for a long spell. It's a win-win-win situation. The part I was not prepared for was how much I was going to miss Abby. The previous night (Thursday) she was asked to spend the night with Bailee, our neighbor, but ended up coming home early. She slinked in the front door telling me how much she missed me and said "I even cried a little." LOL I shook my head, not quite believing it and shut the door. Once alone I asked her, "so what's the reason you came home?" She said "I had to go to bed AN HOUR AGO...and I really, really missed you. Seriously, I even cried a little!" I now figured it was all about having to go to bed earlier than normal and just went on about my business, a little glad she was home again.

Then yesterday I dropped her off with Gramma at 10:30am and came home with the other two to go through the rest of my day. We went to CVS, the park and then home for rest time. About 2:00pm when I had Lilly down for a nap and Zach resting (totally not sleeping) in his bed an unfamiliar pang started in my chest. Where's Abby!? It actually consumed me and all I wanted was to hear her little voice, so I picked up the phone hoping to catch her while on a break at the pool with Gramma. Wouldn't you know how lucky I was!? I did catch her. After hearing her pool stories, I admitted to her why I was really calling. I said "Abby, I just HAD to call you because I was sitting here missing you sooooo much." She quickly and curtly asked, "Did you cry a little!?" LOL "No," I said "but I wanted to." She says "well, that's how I felt last night!" LOL Touche, my dear!

Gramma Hartman showed up around 3:30ish with gifts in tow. She's always full of fun stuff for us all...little trinkets, make-up, perfume, a box of cards, flip-flops, Tupperware (why do people sell those away? You can't beat a good piece of Tupperware!), Matchbox cars, clothes, etc. There's no limit to what this woman can find at a yard sale and you can almost be sure she got it for a real steal. It's impressive! She drove down from Marion to watch the two little ones for a few hours so Scott and I could go out by ourselves. We REALLY needed it. Of course this is the day that Zach decides not to take a nap and is acting really wild, so I worried about them a little, but Gramma let him know who's boss even before we left the house. That made me feel more confident leaving her with him. She said they had a great time together and even Lilly was a big girl and showed Gramma her sweet, normal side. It seemed like every other visit she would just be winding up and being a picklepuss (Gramma's nickname) the whole time. Overall she said it was a great time with the kids, so hopefully she'll come back and do it again soon.

So thank God for Gramma's today! Ours are not the kind to sweep up the kids and keep them for the whole weekend, but they are the kind to show up when you're about to drown yourself in Pinot Grigio and give you a few solid hours of sanity. It's just enough to let the blood drain back down toward your heart, see yourself as a real human being again and your kids not as devil spawn, but rather cute and possible again.


I was looking on Google for a sweet picture of "I *heart* Grandma" to include with this post and came across this image. I imagine they're both posing for the pic gladly, but thinking "where the hell is your/my mother?"

Thank God for Grammas!!!!

No comments: