Friday, August 15, 2008

Back to School Fever

*deep breath*

Ahhh...I LOVE this weather! I just LOVE having my windows open all day and night, feeling the cool breeze through the house and the sheer curtains gently blowing away from the wall. I have to have fresh air in my house, even in the Wintertime. It drives Scott bonkers that in the dead of Winter I'll have the little window above the kitchen sink open, even just crack. I NEED AIR, Dude! Not only do I like the way it feels in the house, I just hate when a house has a "smell." You know, when you walk in someone's house and they have a "smell." Sometimes it's animals, sometimes it's food, sometimes it's mildewy. I NEVER want people to come in and smell something in my house except fresh air or whichever candle I may be burning at a given time. That's another thing that drives my hubby nuts...burning candles in a house with kids around. Valid point, but I'm so scent driven that it makes my soul feel peaceful to have "Hot Apple Pie" or "Egg Nog" burning to fill the air.

I digress though.

My beginning point was that I love this weather. The crisp, cool air in the mornings awaken my internal clock to say, "Fall is approaching! Get ready - it's your season!" Dang, I love Autumn! The deep burgandy, golds and shades of green leaves painting across the landscape.

More gushing over Autumn to come, but for now the very best part of the air changing is that I can smell #2 pencil shavings. I can hear the rub of new sneakers on freshly waxed floors and the rustling of papers across desks. I feel the excitement of meeting new teachers and finding out who'll be sitting next to whom in class (is that grammatically correct?).

Ah yes, school IS in the air! Nine days and counting for our school system!! Abby is not all too excited just yet. She's not at all like I remember myself being as a child. I got excited over things and didn't seem to care how goofy I was being or looked. I remember the build of anticipation for the Teacher List to go up on the school doors, and pedaling my bike as fast as it would go, clear across town without taking a breath just to see who's class I was in and who all was in there with me. I keep trying to pump her up for the posting of the list, but she could care less.

So I push on...excited all on my own. I buy all the school clothes, new shoes, supplies and do ALL the anticipating by myself. I can't wait for her to meet new friends. I hope she likes her new teacher and has a WONDERFUL time in Second grade. I also can't wait to have some peace and quiet in the house, as Mr. Zachary goes to nursery school three afternoons a week! It's gonna be wonderful. Ahhhhh...

No comments: