Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Busy Weekend

Friday was Magic Mountain Day. I've been telling Abby we could go ever since she got a coupon through the local library's reading program. Since this weekend is the last that we can actually whoop it up before school starts, I took her on Friday night while Scott had "Dad Duty."

I knew it would be kinda fun, but wasn't prepared for my inner Speed Racer to come out. She and I used these Buy 2, Get 2 free coupons we had in the Entertainment book and ended up riding the Go Karts the entire time. They had Rookie Karts that she could drive on her own, but we both felt better starting out with me driving a double kart. Once we both got our bearings she knew that she could do it on her own and we headed for the Rookie Lanes. How freakin' fun!! Nothing like strapping your little seven year old into a Go Kart with no helmet and sayin' "Have fun, honey, but Momma's gonna beat you!" It was on! We zoomed around the track at a mind boggling speed of 7 mph, zig-zagging in and out of other cars and overtaking each other. I must say... I'm impressed with her skillz!

I took a few pics, but it's tough to catch a shot while driving!

Pre-race Faces











Look at her go!










Bumperboats! Look at my sweet little girl, and then there was THIS boy. Little shit...he was SO adorable, but he took one look at me and aimed his water sprayer right at me. I snapped his pic real quick, lowered my camera, pointed my mommy finger at him and said, "DON'T. EVEN. THINK! ABOUT IT.












My sweet girl enjoying the ride. Say it with me..."Awwwwe."











OKAY! So we did that on Friday and then Saturday was even more busy. We had the annual Baker Reunion, which the whole family bemoans every year but only because it's always held on the hottest day of August and in the dustiest place on earth. It's always good company and great food, but last year all of us "younger" people vetoed the "older" (and, sadly, getting smaller by the year) group and said we wanted to change the meeting location. One of the charitable couples of said group offered up their place on the lake and all I can say is ... "THANK YOU, ROGER AND LISHA!" AC, clean bathroms, sweet pool, rides on a pontoon on the lake, rootbeer floats (yep, you boat riders missed out!), awesome food... as Tony the Tiger would say "it was GRRRRREAT."

So here are a few of MANY awesome pics that my brother in law, Matt, took. Are we not the cutest bunch!? You know what? I didn't see any pictures of Scott in the whole set of 95 pictures. Matt? Here are the kids and I anyway. Oh, and one of great grandpa that I am going to put in a frame and hang on the wall. He looks so fun!



























After all the Baker fun was a 15th Wedding Anniversary party held by our neighbors, John and Christina. It was done up Octoberfest style complete with authentic German food, music, German parents visiting from Germany, German speaking friends and good wine, beer and the like. It was a GREAT time! Scott had "dad duty" again so I got to thoroughly enjoy myself this weekend. I didn't get any pics of the event, but I really wish I had. It was a colorful group of people.

So - a great weekend so far. Today's gonna be a slower, stay at home kind of day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Christy,
I have to say I am thorougly enjoying reading your blog! I spent all Saturday night reading it and relating to alot of your kid "pains"!

Magpie said...

Awesome! I'm glad to have you reading. Feel free to comment as you want and pass me on to anyone else who might enjoy or commiserate. :)

C

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your surprised we didn't get any pictures of Scott. Since when does he stand still long enough to get photographed?!? ;)

Oh, and the great-grandpa picture made it into a frame on our wall, too!